- IDF Soldiers to Consume 300,000 Doughnuts on HanukkahPosted 1 week ago
- Israel Air Force Soldier Becomes European Judo ChampionPosted 2 weeks ago
- A Soldier’s First-Person Account of Devastation & Hope in the PhilippinesPosted 3 weeks ago
- Terrorist Murders IDF Soldier in Israeli Bus StationPosted 3 weeks ago
- Miss Universe 2013 in Russia: Venezuela’s Gabriela Isler Wins Top Beauty Crown in MoscowPosted 4 weeks ago
- IDF Chief of the General Staff Makes Historic Visit to GermanyPosted 4 weeks ago
- IDF Chief of the General Staff Lands Today For Official Visit in EuropePosted 1 month ago
- Israeli UAV Crashed in GazaPosted 1 month ago
- Jewish Actress Lisa Kudrow Talks Anti-Semitism, Her Son’s Bar Mitzvah in Revealing InterviewPosted 1 month ago
- IAF Attacks in Gaza Following Rockets Fired on Southern IsraelPosted 1 month ago
IDF: We Will Take Action Against Syrian Tanks
The IDF and Syrian army are close to a direct clash as a result of the battles waging in the Quenitra region between Syria and rebels trying to overthrow President Bashar Assad.
According to a report submitted to the Security Council by Herve Ladsous, UN Under Secretary General for Peacekeeping Operations, the IDF told the UN commander that it would “take action” if Syrian army tanks continue to move towards the buffer zone in the Golan Heights as a result of the battle.
The report, entitled ”Note on developments in UNDOF,” said that the Syrian army put five tanks and five armored personnel carriers in the demilitarized buffer zone in the Golan after the rebels capture of Quenitra. It stated, “The Israel Defense Forces informed the UNDOF (United Nations Disengagement Observer Force) Commander that should the movement of SAAF tanks continue, the IDF would take action.”
The report went on to say that the Senior Syrian Arab Delegate informed the UNDOF that the tanks were solely to fight the opposition and asked the IDF not to take action.
Israel complained to the UN about the presence of tanks in the buffer zone. Should this escalate, it would be the first clash between Israel and Syria in nearly 40 years.